You should be automatically redirected . If not, visit
http://newlisper.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

12/12/2005

Getting newLISP onto a new Mac

When I got my new Mac PowerBook I was looking forward to do a bit of LISP programming. MacOS X comes with a lot of open-source software pre-installed, including a number of programming and scripting languages, not to mention the Darwin operating system itself. You can write Perl, Ruby, Python and Tcl scripts immediately, but there’s no Lisp available ‘out of the box’. (Emacs is installed, but that’s another story.)

There are four or five versions of Lisp that you can currently run on MacOS X, including CLISP and OpenMCL, as well as some of the commercial Lisp products, such as LispWorks. But I think it would also be a great idea to add newLISP to the default MacOS installation. For one thing, it would allow people to try out some Lisp-style scripting and programming using a fast and well-documented implementation, without being frightened away by the bloated monster that is Common Lisp. It would also show that there’s no reason why scripting and web application building can’t be done just as easily and efficiently using Lisp as with Python or Ruby.

I’m going to write to the head honcho over at Apple’s Darwin division and ask for newLISP to be installed on all new Macs!

2 Comments:

At 15:13, Blogger fudnik said...

I totally agree. newLISP would fit very well as part of the OS X package. I'd like to see newLISP become much more common among the masses. I'm currently doing some work with Lutz Mueller, the newLISP author, and I have to say he is a very intelligent programmer and a friendly person to work with. He's well worth supporting!

If you are interested in other newLISP projects. I have created a server independent AJAX client called phAtJAX. I have put out a challenge to interested newLISP programmers to create a newLISP server companion to the phAtJAX AJAX client.

 
At 15:34, Blogger newlisper said...

I'll watch with interest - currently way over my head!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home